With spring right around the corner, I’ve been feeling the urge to purge – donating old clothes, tossing papers, and digging out half-finished projects from the depths of my closet. This is one.
Many moons ago I started an afghan with scrap yarn held double, crocheted with a P hook in a bulky drop-post kind of pattern. I got about 18″ done and the thing weighed 40 pounds and was eating up yarn like crazy. It was too heavy to carry around with me and I ran out of yarn before the blanket got to usable size. Not wanting to buy more yarn, I put the behemoth in the bottom of my closet until I could figure out what to do with it.
Last weekend I pulled it out for evaluation. Most of the yarns are standard worsted weight acrylics, though some is random oddball stuff I held double just to use up. I figured I could unravel the behemoth, separate the yarns, and start a new blanket with single yarns to get twice the mileage; this should yield a lap-size blanket that will be great for movie watching or reading by the fire.
Wanting something simple, I opted for a tried-and-true ripple, with an H hook and 194 stitches across. As with all scrap afghans, the beauty will be in the finished project – it isn’t much to look at yet and appears very random, but trust me that there is a method to the madness and the yarns should harmonize once there’s more of it. (fingers crossed) It takes me about 20 minutes per row, and there are two rows per color.
This is a 6-stitch ripple, all in double crochet (DC 6, 3 DC in next st (peak), DC 6, dec next 3 together (valley), repeat) so it’s easy to do while watching TV or listening to music / podcasts.