Laid low

I guess it was my turn; an upper respiratory bug ran through the house and I caught it with both hands. What started on Friday as a sore throat quickly escalated, and by Sunday I was pretty well done in. Several boxes of tissues, many doses of cold medicine, hours of mindless Netflix streaming, and untold gallons of tea later: I am on the mend. Today my body seems to have issued a mass evacuation notice on mucus (TMI, sorry), but otherwise I am feeling quite a bit better. I’m trying to make it through the day “drug-free”, but I confess to having a couple doses of cold medicine on stand-by.

While I was incapacitated, I tried to do some knitting. “Tried” is the operative word here, as it is pretty darned difficult to follow any kind of instructions when one is under the influence of the mighty Virus. I did manage to finish off the Windschief hat, for which I felt immense satisfaction (getting anything at all accomplished feels like quite a feat when one is sick).

Under the “tried” category, I made the misguided attempt to start one of the color work hats that I alluded to the other day. It’s written for fair isle but it has a full (separate) liner, so I decided it should just be double knit, get both done at the same time and it will be reversible. Plus, I’m not very good at keeping my tension even on fair isle so this seemed like a logical decision. Perhaps if I’d been well, it would have been logical. While sick, it was just a silly thing to contemplate.

It took five YouTube videos for me to ‘get’ the two-color cast on. Three more videos to remind me how to deal with the two strands for double knitting. I ripped and reknit the yarn so many times, it lost its twist. And still I forged on. For two days, my muddled brain tried to make my fumbling fingers follow the most basic of instructions and achieve something close to gauge. After I finally managed to get a solid inch of hat brim knit, I dug out my tape measure and discovered I was making a hat that would fit exactly nobody. Somewhere around a 30″ circumference, the hat was not going to work out. I tried a smaller needle, but that didn’t make any difference and my foggy brain began to realize that perhaps the yarn was not a good match for the pattern. Yesterday I gave in and frogged yet again, balling the yarn up and securing it in a Ziplock baggie for some future project, and bought new yarn at the LYS in a smaller gauge. I haven’t tried it yet, probably won’t get to it for a few days – and hopefully by then I’ll have regained my mental faculties.



About wonkydonkey

You want random? You got it. Mostly knitting and gardening, with some home improvements, pets, baking, family, and the occasional bad joke thrown in for good measure. This blog is mine; it is a place where I can insist upon proper grammar or break my own rules and degrade into slang on a whim. Either way, it's still mine. I love the Internet.
This entry was posted in Family nonsense, Knitting & Crochet. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s