The weather this weekend was perfect for staying indoors; it rained pretty much the whole weekend, but that was OK because our new stove was delivered on Saturday! This is our first new stove, and we are so excited!
It took awhile to get it level (our house is far from level, and the kitchen is the worst); we ended up ordering Chinese food delivery for dinner with a brand-new oven standing in the middle of our kitchen.
Sunday, though, Sunday we put it through its paces. First, a large breakfast of pancakes, sausage patties, eggs, and hash browns. Then, the Mr. made a batch of homemade chili that simmered for hours. We capped that off with cornbread baked in a cast iron skillet. Everything was delightful! The oven seems to be right on temperature, the stove top burners are significantly more powerful than our last stove, and best of all — it’s level so my cornbread wasn’t higher on one side like it usually is.
Aside from trying out the new stove, Sunday was my day to just relax. I had gotten most of my chores done on Saturday, and Sunday’s weather brought hail, driving rain, strong winds, and thunder —- so I brought my spinning wheel out and queued up Season 3 of the X-Files, and had myself a little spin-in while Mother Nature raged outside.
From the stash: a ball of superwash wool in “Northern Lights” colorway. I have no idea where I got this, there is no label (the ball was stuffed into a baggie with the color written on it). It feels like merino.
And it spun up beautifully. I used the second whorl on my Sonata and gave it a good amount of twist. Don’t ask me how much twist, I’m totally self-taught and have no idea. I drafted it out “fairly fine but not as fine as I would for lace weight” and put in “a good amount of twist”, enough that it kinked up just a wee bit. I wanted a fairly firm yarn out of this, something that will wear well and not pill since it feels like merino. Mostly I just focused on getting my spin groove back and drafting out consistently. The ball perfectly filled a bobbin.
I wound that bobbin off into a center pull ball and then plied both ends together. It came out to a sport weight yarn, and I got about 256 yards of it. It had a little bath and is now hanging up to dry. I think maybe a cowl would be good, it’s got a soft hand and isn’t scratchy. This picture is way too green; by the time I finished the skein it was dark outside so I’m relying on indoor lighting. But you get the idea: