Monsoon season is still holding us captive here in Seattle, delaying outdoor projects left and right. This morning we had a few hours of sunshine, though, so the Mr and I headed out to tackle a couple of things. He mostly worked on a workshop door, and I assembled a new raised garden bed (with some help from the Mr).
The old beds were built of wood, which only lasts about three years. These are the second set I’d made, and wanted the next ones to last longer.
Dissasembly went pretty quickly, as the wood was fairly rotted.
The sections are connected with aluminium brackets.
And then we test-set them to check level and squareness.
Once everything was plumb, final assembly and a cedar top rail finished it off nicely.
These are a bit deeper than the last ones, so I’ll need to get more soil before planting. There is broccoli, onion, and garlic that wintered over that I worked around, and I found a batch of peas / beans sprouting. They must be ones that never germinate last year because it got so hot so early; I have no idea what these are exactly, but I transplanted them and we’ll see if they survive. I have a feeling that this year’s garden is going to have a bunch of surprises. We very nearly had a walnut tree grow in three middle of one bed! Darned squirrels…
Anyway, I started on the second bed but the rain came back, so it will have to wait.