One of the best things a knitter can learn to do is fix mistakes without ripping out miles of yarn. I am working on a pair of socks with a simple rib, that somehow I messed up (not paying attention) and then tried to fix too late and ended up messing it up more. Today I sat down to tackle what was really an easy fix, just a little fiddly.
Here’s the sock, with needles at the two errors.
To start, I used a short DPN to pick up the stitches along the bottom of my repair section. I went a full row lower and a stitch wider on either side, to ensure I got it all. Nine stitches total.
Then, dropping stitches on purpose.
This is the part that people usually panic about. It’s ok, they can’t go too far.
Twelve rows down, I got to my holding needle. I used a second DPN to then start reknitting each strand.
That’s the fiddly part, working with short loops.
But it works.
And a couple full rounds later, the repair is almost invisible – the remaining tension weirdness will totally ease out in the first washing.