Happy holidays to you! I hope you got to do what makes you happy – whether that involves people in your life or just a good movie on the TV. It’s fairly busy around our place, with assorted family and friend get-togethers, office events, and so forth. There has been plenty of crafting as well, mostly for presents. I think I gifted seven pairs of hand-knit socks this year, along with a hat, a cowl, and a sweater for a little person. There were also handmade spice blends for some folks, and the Mr. made a bunch of yummy treats.
Soapmaking has slowed down as I enter my “off season”, but there is still business stuff to take care of (like bookkeeping, inventory, and so forth) that keeps me in the soap studio a fair amount.
Here is an unfinished project, on the loom:
Watching it rain while I eat my lunch and knit a few rows on a new pair of socks.
I started a top-down hat with a striping yarn, but the top is flashing in an interesting way. I’m sort of hoping it settles down into actual stripes, but also sort of hoping it keeps doing this.
Plugging away on this between other projects, it is getting long! I’m on color 4 out of 7 and the shaping has just shifted (you can see it in the upper left) to become asymmetrical. The width won’t change from here on, it will just go a bit sideways. 🙂
One of the best things a knitter can learn to do is fix mistakes without ripping out miles of yarn. I am working on a pair of socks with a simple rib, that somehow I messed up (not paying attention) and then tried to fix too late and ended up messing it up more. Today I sat down to tackle what was really an easy fix, just a little fiddly.
Here’s the sock, with needles at the two errors.
To start, I used a short DPN to pick up the stitches along the bottom of my repair section. I went a full row lower and a stitch wider on either side, to ensure I got it all. Nine stitches total.
Then, dropping stitches on purpose.
This is the part that people usually panic about. It’s ok, they can’t go too far.
Twelve rows down, I got to my holding needle. I used a second DPN to then start reknitting each strand.
That’s the fiddly part, working with short loops.
But it works.
And a couple full rounds later, the repair is almost invisible – the remaining tension weirdness will totally ease out in the first washing.
Finished the cabled hat.
And a Snap hat by TinCanKnits. Pompom!
Winter is coming.
The owl hats still need eyes, but I set them aside to cast on a cabled hat for the Christmas list.
The pattern is Jason’s Cashmere Hat (free on Ravelry), but I don’t have cashmere yarn so I’m using a Cascade Aran instead.